The festival is completely free, both indoor and outdoor and indoor installations.
The only part of the festival where a ticket is required is to attend the ‘Imaginarium of Dreams’ live performances within the Guildhall on Friday evening. This is still FREE to attend, however, you will need to purchase a FREE ticket via the Evenbrite link which can be found on the project page (you can find this page by clicking on the map on the home page).
Installations will be running from 5pm until 9pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening unless otherwise stated on the project page.
You can also download a handy timetable here.
There’s no right or wrong way to explore We Shine Portsmouth! Just visit one or two installations of your choice, make a weekend of it and visit different zones each day, or make it round them all in an evening – it’s up to you!
We’ve divided the sections of We Shine into zones and made some suggested walking routes, but these are just a suggestion, the choice is yours!
The Festival is entirely accessible to all, both the indoor and outdoor sites. All sites are wheelchair accessible.
Public toilets are accessible and can be located at:
– Guildhall Square
– University of Portsmouth – Eldon Building (accessible)
– Central Library 3rd floor (accessible)
– Within the Guildhall for those attending live performance on Friday evening (accessible)
– St. Mary’s Church, Fratton (accessible)
The festival will go ahead in all weathers so wrap up warm and wear your waterproof coats if necessary for a lovely British autumnal stroll.
Dogs are welcome to join you on your journey as you explore We Create Market and most outdoor installations at We Shine Portsmouth. However, please note Victoria Park, Portsmouth Guildhall, Central Library and the Eldon building do not allow dogs unless they are Assistance dogs.
If you are local, We Shine Portsmouth is the perfect excuse for a Winter walk, alternatively Portsmouth is a well-connected city with lots of great public transport options.
The most central train stations to some of the We Shine Installations are Portsmouth & Southsea Station and Fratton Station.
There are plenty of bus routes around the city. To find out more visit https://www.firstbus.co.uk/portsmouth-fareham-gosport
Park & Ride
The Portsmouth Park & Ride service operates from the Tipner Interchange. Park up and catch the bus directly to the City Centre- Victoria Park. For timetables & more information please visit – https://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/times.shtml
See below for information on car parking in the city.
Voi e-scooters are a great environmentally friendly way to travel around the city, and perfect for exploring We Shine!
We are delighted to have teamed up with Voi so that visitors to the Light Festival can access the city’s e-scooters for free. New riders can get a Voi discount code which will give them approximately 20 mins of free riding.
How new users can get their free e-scooter ride: Download the Voi app, sign up, open your wallet and enter promo code*: WE_SHINE_5
We recommend the following car parking options for the festival. Find out which is closest to the project you are visiting.
- Clarence Street, PO1 4AY
- Isambard Brunel Multistorey, Alec Rose Lane, PO1 2BX
- Isambard Brunel Surface, Alec Rose Lane, PO1 2BX
- The Podium, Charles Dickens Street, PO1 2AH
- All Saints, Church Street, PO1 4NB
- Guildhall Walk Carpark, Alec Rose Lane, PO1 2DX
- NCP Carpark, Marketway, PO1 4AH
- NCP Carpark, Crasswell Surface, PO1 1RS
- St Andrew’s Court, Anglesea Road, PO1 2PR
- University House Carpark, Waltham Street, PO5 4BE
Please note there will no parking available on site at St.Mary’s Church or Sainsburys.
Popular pop-up market We Create Market will be making an appearance at the old Sainsbury’s near Commercial Road.
Address: The Old Sainsbury’s building- 315 Commercial Road, Portsmouth, PO1 4BS.
Dates & Times:
Thursday 18th – 5pm – 9pm
Friday 19th – 5pm – 9pm
Saturday 20th – 12noon – 9pm
The market will be the perfect place to stop by and shop local in time for Christmas!
Sainsbury’s car park will be closed for parking. However, there will be pedestrian access to the market entrance- Sainsbury’s front door via Frederick Street (opposite Cascades car park).
If you are a local talented makers, artists, designers or creators, apply to trade here – https://wecreatemarket.co.uk/apply-to-trade
We Create Market will be open from 5pm until 9pm on Thursday & Friday and 12pm to 9pm on Saturday to enable you to support local traders.
We want everyone to have a great time at We Shine Portsmouth, but we all need to be mindful that Coronavirus remains a serious health risk and cases in Portsmouth remain high. So as you enjoy all the wonderful installations and murals, we ask that everyone plays their part to continue to stay safe and protect others.
Ways to help protect others:
1. Respect each other’s personal space.
2. Sanitise or wash your hands frequently.
3. Consider wearing a mask, particularly on public transport or in crowded or indoor spaces if you can.
4. Do a free lateral flow test before you head to the event even if you are fully vaccinated. If you do test positive, self-isolate, book a PCR Test and follow NHS guidance.
Voi e-scooters are a great environmentally friendly way to travel around the city, and perfect for exploring We Shine! We are delighted to have teamed up with Voi so that visitors to the Light Festival can access the city’s e-scooters for free. New riders can get a Voi discount code which will give them approximately 20 mins of free riding.
How users can get their free e-scooter ride: Get the Voi app, sign up, open your wallet and enter promo code*: WE_SHINE_5
Voi will also have fleet operatives on the ground for all three nights of the event to help you get started, answer questions and hand out FREE HELMETS – so keep an eye out!
*Only available to new Voi users. The Voi app is available via the Google Play and Apple App stores. Limited availability. This code is valid in Portsmouth only and expires at 23:59, 20 November 2021.
How to use a Voi scooter:
– Users need to have a provisional or full driving licence and be at least 18 years of age to hire an e-scooter.
– Riders can easily find an available Voi e-scooter and unlock it using the Voi app.
– Riders are encouraged to wear helmets.
– Learn how to ride safely in just 15 mins by enrolling in ‘RideLikeVoila’, Voi’s online e-scooter traffic school. Participants will be rewarded with £5 of free rides when they have completed it.
– Check out Voi’s winter e-scooting tips. The lights may be shining brightly in Portsmouth, but Voiagers need to be visible too.
– Portsmouth operates under a Mandatory Parking Zone system which means that, when users want to finish their rides, they need to be in a specific parking area in order to lock the scooter. The best way to do this is by opening the Voi app or by visiting this map to identify the closest parking bays to each light installation.
Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.voiscooters.com/faq/